Ketosis for Women: The Benefits, Risks and Importance of Cycling - Part 4
Wednesday, August 30, 2023 3:33 PM
Benefits of Cyclical Keto for Women
Given the potential risks of long-term ketosis, many experts recommend a cyclical approach to keto. And for many women “Cyclical Keto” or “Keto Cycling” provides the BEST of both worlds.
This involves alternating periods of strict ketosis with periods of higher-carbohydrate intake. The “carb refeeds” typically happen on a weekly or monthly basis. Here are some potential benefits of cyclical keto for women:
• Improved Hormonal Balance & Menstrual Regularity: Incorporating regular carb refeeds or cyclical periods of higher carb intake, can mitigate the negative effects on female hormones and menstrual regularity that can occur on strict keto. This may be particularly important for women who are trying to conceive or are otherwise concerned about hormonal health.
• Improved Energy Levels and Exercise Performance: Carb refeeds may help women improve their energy levels and exercise performance, particularly for high-intensity activities that rely on carbohydrate stores for fuel.
• Reduced Risk of Nutritional Deficiencies & Poor Bone Health: Adding carb-containing foods intermittently may reduce their risk of nutritional deficiencies and negative effects on bone health that can occur on a strict keto diet.
While ketosis offers a plethora of powerful health benefits for women, it is also important to be aware of the potential pitfalls.
If you’re a woman on keto, be sure to:
2. Make sure you’re consuming a “clean” keto diet of whole foods and healthy fats, and
3. Keep an eye on your symptoms and hormone panels.